I can’t take credit for coming up with this recipe idea. This is straight up copycat-ing at its finest. What can I say? The fact that I didn’t come up with these asparagus tacos made me immediately want to go home and make a recipe for asparagus tacos! Yeah, I can admit it–I’m kinda an asparagus slut.
I ate these tacos (see pic above) at a new vegan restaurant that had opened near us. It’s called Baangan and I absolutely recommend it to every vegan in East Bay! After making the commitment to go vegan/nutritarian for a year (and recently crossing the 4 month mark), my hubby didn’t really have many options for where to take me for a nice Mother’s Day lunch out. A quick Yelp search later turned up this gem–and it totally rocked my vegan world!
The entire time I was eating these giant vegan, veggie-packed tacos I was creating a mental checklist of the probable ingredients, figuring out how I could possibly pull off making these at home. One thing I knew I’d have to do to clean them up a bit to make this a recipe that could stay on my weight-loss rotation. I could see there was a lot of oil and salt going on in these tacos–yeah, that had to go.
For cutting down the oil and sodium, I came pretty darn close to the originals! You’re going to get so much salt, heat and flavor from the chipotle peppers, you really don’t need to add anything. The stars of these tacos are undoubtedly the condiments. The chipotle sauce, fresh veggie coleslaw and cilantro avocado creme make what’s a really simple idea into something truly amazeballs! The slaw and creme also help to counter the strong heat from the chipotle sauce.
I have to say I love baking veggies! It’s so much easier than standing over a skillet meticulously turning and shuffling to make sure not to burn them. When you set veggies in the oven, the smell is the first indicator that it’s getting ready. And if there is a bit of char on it, somehow that makes it that much more tasty! While your asparagus is baking you’ll be able to prepare the condiments–isn’t a multitasking recipe the best ever?
The asparagus is the star of these tacos. It’s such an unexpectedly delicious way to eat one of my all-time favorite veggies, and who doesn’t love chipotle peppers? They are the trendy peppers de jour that really deliver on flavor. These tacos are savory, crunchy, spicy, clean, fresh and satisfying. I hope you give them a try!
ROASTED CHIPOTLE ASPARAGUS TACOS (makes 6 tacos, serves 3)
- 1 large bunch of asparagus, chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 6 soft corn tortillas (I use Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Hass avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice (I used lemon)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- olive oil cooking spray
- Optional: salt & pepper (I tried not to use nay added salt with this recipe, since the chipotle peppers have it, and pepper was not an issue because there is plenty of spice! But feel free to use both as you see fit!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Take 2 chipotle peppers and 2 tbsp. of their juice and place in high speed blender. Add 1/2 cup water and blend on high until smooth.
- In large mixing bowl combine asparagus and chipotle sauce (note: add the sauce to suit your spice level–this sauce is hot–I used about 1/2 of my batch of chipotle sauce). Mix well to coat.
- Spray a large baking sheet with olive oil. Pour coated asparagus onto baking sheet and spread out. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, then pull out sheet to check. We want the asparagus to still be slightly crispy. Continue to bake until you reach the right doneness.
- In another mixing bowl combine the red and green cabbage, carrot, onion powder, and white vinegar. Set in refrigerator.
- In your blender combine the Hass avocado, lemon/lime juice, cilantro and garlic powder. Blend on high until smooth.
- When ready to serve, heat up tortillas in oven or microwave. Place a generous serving of asparagus on each, layer with coleslaw, and top with cilantro avocado cream sauce.
- Serve immediately with fresh salsa of your choice!