I recently joined a mother’s group in my area, it’s called MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers), and it is the bomb.com! A friend from my son’s school told me about it and she had me convinced at “childcare is provided and there is an awesome breakfast buffet!” Well, at the first MOPS meeting I attended we made a little “craft” project for Valentine’s Day: homemade spice mixes. We made a taco mix and a ranch mix by measuring out the appropriate amounts of dry spices and filing cute glass jars with fancy chalkboard labels! Ever since I made my mixes I’ve been trying to figure out how to utilize them at home. An hour of online research later and I found my inspiration from this similar chicken finger recipe by Nicole at PreventionRD.com.
I went with fish over chicken because after many years of being a vegan, seagan (vegan + seafood), vegetarian, and most recently nutritarian, I’m kinda scared off chicken. My kids love Tilapia and it is a lean fish, so I went with it. The result is an amazingly crunchy “fish” finger without any frying in oil or even spraying down the roasting pan! My husband and I really enjoyed this dish and I hope you will too! Serve it with my Jalepeno and Red Pepper Corn Casserole and a simple side salad!
CRUNCHY BUFFALO-RANCH TILAPIA (makes 4 servings)
- 2 pounds Tilapia filets (about 4-5 filets)
- Buffalo chicken wing sauce
- panko bread crumbs
- dry ranch dressing mix (check out this easy recipe to make your own!)
- salt & pepper to taste
- baking spray
- parchment paper
- Separate each Tilapia filet into two sections. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Prepare a large plastic freezer bag with about 1/2 bottle of buffalo chicken wing sauce. Add fillets into sauce. Allow to chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper, spay lightly with non-stick spray.
- Mix 3 cups panko bread crumbs with 6 tbsp. dry ranch mix. Spread along bottom of large plate. Take out a piece of fish and allow excess wing sauce to drip off into bag. Lay each piece of fillet on top of the breadcrumb mixture and coat with dry mixture, pressing the coating on with your fingers. Lay coated pieces on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until just browning around the edges.
- When serving, warm up extra wing sauce in microwave-safe bowl and drizzle over each fillet piece.
Remember to kiss your chef!
Check out my Jalepeno & Red Pepper Corn Casserole Recipe here!