I’ve been on a Halloween kick; I’ve also been on a covering-everything-I-can-with-chocolate kick (see Marshmallow Jack o’ Lantern Pops)! One thing I’ve always wanted to make are caramel apples (I guess those are different than candy apples?). I also love candy corn, so why not combine them! More chocolate-covered Halloween treats to follow so stay tuned!
CANDY CORN CARAMEL APPLES:
Materials Needed (Makes 4 Apples):
- 4 large Granny Smith apples
- 2 tbsp. water
- 14 oz bag caramels
- lollipop sticks
- white, yellow and orange Candy Melts
- baking sheet & wax paper
- Prep the apples: Wash apples, remove stems, dry. Push the lollipop sticks into the apples where the stem would be, go down about 3/4ths of the way through the apples. Have a sheet of wax paper over your baking sheet for when you’re ready for drying.
- Prepare the caramels: Unwrap the caramels and place in microwave-safe bowl with the water. Microwave on high until the caramels are melted, checking and stirring each minute.
- Dip the apples in the caramel, turning to coat, allow excess caramel to drip off the apples and scrape off the excess with the side of the bowl.
- Place on baking sheet and allow to completely cool down and set the the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Prepare the white candy melts (see this post for reference) first, dip into melted white mixture and allow to completely dry and set. Continue this process with the orange and then yellow candy melts. Make sure to leave some of each layer visible. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.