If you’re on Dr. Fuhrman’s Eat to Live program, welcome to your new favorite nutritarian recipe! I’m not just blowing smoke. This vegan, un-fried rice is the real deal. Quick-to-make, cheap, filling and chock full of phytochemicals, plant-based protein and fiber! This will undoubtedly become a fixture on your weekly menu. Paired with an Asian-inspired salad (like this one), you’ll have a full-blown, flavorful and balanced nutritarian meal!
The miraculous thing about this recipe is that it uses NO OIL! Yup, not a spray, not a drop, not a dribble. In fact, that is probably the most important thing I learned from reading Dr. Fuhrman’s books–you should not cook with oil. The body easily and efficiently converts oil into fat cells–and I’ll be having no more of that, thank you very much! When you remove the oil and eggs out of fried rice, you’re actually left with something that is pretty healthy. Then, by replacing the eggs with tofu, you’re getting lots of plant-based protein with zero cholesterol. Um, fat-free, cholesterol-free fried rice? That’s a win-win-win!
Whenever I make this recipe I use Trader Joe’s new Organic Srouted California Rice Blend, but feel free to use whatever brown rice variety you prefer! When I developed this recipe I knew that getting the right proportions would be key to staying within the Eat to Live program guidelines. You use 3 cups of rice for 6 servings, so you end up only eating 1/2 a cup of rice for the meal. Add to that the corn (which is optional, you could certainly leave that out) and you actually come in below the recommended 1 cup max of whole grains. Feel free to use any fresh or frozen veggies you have on hand and really the more the merrier! I’ve made versions with frozen broccoli, edamame and even eggplant–it’s all good!
EAT TO LIVE UN-FRIED RICE by Kristen Hong of MyMommaToldMe.com
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 16 oz. block of firm tofu, drained well
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2-3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp. Liquid Aminos (or 1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce)
- 1/3 cup Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tbsp. ginger powder
- Optional: 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- Cut your well-drained block of tofu into small pieces and place in frying pan with 1 cup veggie stock. Cook over high heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly and adding more veggie broth if needed. Add nutritional yeast and garlic powder and stir to combine. Empty onto plate and set aside.
- Combine your frozen veggies with 1 cup veggie broth over high heat and cook until tender but still crispy (about 7 to 10 minutes). Reduce heat to medium and add in your fresh vegetables and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in your previously cooked rice and stir to combine with veggies. Add your onion powder and ginger powder and continue to cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 more minutes. Add in your reserved tofu and heat together for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve warm.
For more yummy Nutritarian eats: Check out these Simple Bean Burgers here!