What I love about this Thai curry recipe is that it tastes like authentic Thai take out but with out the massive quantity of oil that you usually find in such fare! The secret is sauteing your veggies in carrot juice instead of oil!
CLEAN THAI PEANUT CURRY (Adapted from recipe in “Eat to Live” p. 280)
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 4 tbsp. chunky peanut butter (no-salt added)
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- 2 cups carrot juice
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tsp. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (soy sauce substitute, can be found at Whole Foods)
- 1 medium red pepper cut into strips
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 1 can baby corn
- 3 cups skiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 large egglpant chopped into cubes
- 1 package firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts chopped (for garnish)
- Place the green beans, mushrooms, peppers, corn and eggplant into a sauce pan and add the 2 cups of carrot juice and the Bragg’s Liquid Aminos. Bring to a boil.
- Add the garlic, basil, ginger and curry powder. Stir well.
- Take off of heat just as vegetables become cooked through. With a slatted spoon remove the vegetables from the carrot juice and reserve the vegetables in a large pot. Put the pan back on medium heat.
- Add the peanut butter and coconut milk and stir well to combine.
- Add the tofu and cook in the curry sauce for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the curry and tofu sauce over the vegetables reserved in the large pot. Stir just to combine (avoid breaking the tofu).
- Garnish with chopped nuts and basil leaf.
Check out how many pounds I lost in my first week on the “Eat to Live” 6 week plan!