Since I just posted a classic chicken soup recipe made from a rotisserie chicken, I wanted to also post the second meal that we got from our $4.99 Costco chicken! This is one of those semi-homemade dishes that really benefits from the slow-roasting rotisserie process. You can whip it up super-fast because the depth of flavor is already established in the chicken. Plus, getting two full meals (that feeds both parents and child) for such a great price is the icing on the cake. So, try these two classic recipes the next time you pick up a rotisserie chicken from your market and you won’t be disappointed!
This is not really a kid-friendly dish because of the spice used, so we simply pulled off some breast meat from the chicken and served it to Kysen with white rice. If your children are old enough for a little spice you can simply wait till the end of the sauteing process and add the varying levels of spice for adults and children. Or, if your children refuse to eat anything spicy (which is the case with most) then simply pull the chicken right off the breast and serve it that way!
All the ingredients I used in this recipe were store bought from Trader Joe’s, with the exception of the chicken which was from Costco. If you don’t have a Costco membership the $4.99 rotisserie chickens alone are worth the $50 a year 🙂
ROTISSERIE CHICKEN TACOS (serves 4)
- rotisserie chicken breast, the meat from both breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- corn tortillas
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- pico de gallo (onions, tomatoes and cilantro salsa)
- guacamole (pre-made or homemade)
- any other taco toppings you prefer, like: cheese, sour cream, or beans, etc…
- Pull off the breast meat from the rotisserie chicken. Make sure the meat is pulled apart well.
- Heat skillet to medium-high and add your 2 tbsp of EVOO. Saute the chicken breast meat int he olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium-low and add the packet of taco seasoning (I used just more than a half packet, to reduce the sodium). Stir for another 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat your corn tortillas in the microwave or place on a skillet over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Assemble your tacos with your desired toppings!
How do you stretch your ingredients to make to meals? Do you mommas have any dishes you make from a rotisserie chicken, please share!