When I work out first thing in the morning, breakfast is on. My hubby laughs at my gigantic, get-in-my-belly breakfasts. Typically, the enormity of my breakfast corresponds to how hard I worked out. Well, today was my first day back at Jazzercise (don’t judge me people), and after a month off for vacations and visitors it was a challenging workout to say the least. Thus the necessity for a healthy French toast was born.
This French toast has been thoroughly veganized, and while it’s not something you could eat everyday on the Eat to Live program, it’s as clean as I could make it. Best thing about this recipe: you make it in the oven! No more flipping slices one by one. Your toasts are ready at the same time and served up piping hot to the whole family!
BAKED VEGAN FRENCH TOAST (serves 2)
- 4 slices of your favorite whole grain vegan sliced bread
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup (for sweetness) or you can sub 1/2 tbsp. agave nectar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. raw sliced almonds
- cooking spray (I used TJ’s canola oil spray)
- optional: fresh strawberries for garnish
- Make your chia batter. Combine, almond milk, chia seeds, cinnamon and vanilla extract in shallow bowl (big enough to later dip your bread slices). Mix well and let it set for 15 to 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- While your chia batter is setting preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Spray cooking spray on cookie sheet and set aside. Prepare our garnishes if you’re using any.
- When oven is heated and batter has set for 15-20 minutes get ready to dip! Dip each slice of bread in the batter, just submerge quickly on both sides. Note: there will be chia seeds on the bread. Sprinkle each slice with about 1/2 tbsp. almond slices. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes then flip the slices and cook for another 10 minutes on the other side. Optional: turn your oven to broil and broil each side for 2-3 minutes if you like a crispier French toast.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and a drizzle of maple syrup.